In late August 2012 I received the 15 Inch retina MacBook Pro. After using it for a while I have come to the conclusion that this computer by far does not live up to Apple standards. Maybe I am just unlucky with the hardware I receive but until now I have had the following issues:
- Cracking sound from bottom plate when you hold it. Seems like some of the screws are not tightened correctly.
- Image retention on the display. The display is replaced now and problems with image retention is gone. I got a Samsung panel.
- Severe UI lag and especially using certain websites. There is no fluidity at all in the UI. This was one of the main selling points for the Mac and now it is gone.
- When I close and open the lid it doesn’t automatically reconnect to my wifi. I have to manually connect to get it to work. Fixed by update installed 21.nov 2012.
- When I listen to music or watch videos the sound pop and crackles. Fixed by disabling automatic graphic switching, giving lower battery life in return.
- Even writing this sentence lags! I write faster than the computer can keep up with.
- When playing games the computer begins to throttle at a too low temperature meaning you cant really make use of the power in this machine.
This is my experience with this computer at the moment. Based on my experience and considering what other people experience with their retina macbook pros around the net I will not recommend buying this laptop at least not until Apple fix their problems.
If you get a computer with problems like this do not accept it. Return it and get it fixed or get a refund.
(I was wery angry when I wrote this post, I have changed some of the wording).