When the iPhone 4S was announced many people was really hoping for the iPhone 5. Insted they got updated specs, some new software and the same design.
If you read Apple related websites you have undoubtedly read rumors about the iPhone 5 and, today Apple unveiled it with Phil Schiller at the stage. This is considered to be the last product Steve Jobs was directly involved with before he passed away.
When the first iPhone came out it was something no one has ever seen before, it was groundbreaking. Transforming the mobile phone market completely. The question today: is the new version able to do the same thing?
Here is a summary of todays Apple event and an overview of the most important new features. Product images (courtesy of Apple) is included.
- 20% Lighter than the 4S.
- 4-inch 326ppi Retina display, 1136 x 640 resolution, closer to 16:9.
- Less glare in sunlight.
- Apple A6 CPU.
- 8 hours of 3G and 10 hours WiFi.
- 8Megapixel camera, thinner lens, 1080p HD video with better stabilization.
- Better audio.
- New connector called: Lightning 80% smaller.
- iOS 6
iTunes and App Store Update
- New iTunes Store design.
- New small mini-player with minimalistic design and search functionality.
- Seamless integration with iCloud.
- New iPod Nano with multi-touch, 2.5-Inch display, FM Tuner with DVR support, Bluetooth. Lightning connector same as the iPhone 5. 30 hours of music playback.
- New iPod Touch fifth generation. Retina Display (same as iPhone 5), A5 CPU, 6.1mm thick and 88grams heavy. Brushed aluminum on the back, 40 hours music playback and 8 hours video. 5 Megapixel camera, AirPlay mirroring, iOS 6 and Siri.
After shipping over 600 million of the original earbuds Apple decided it was time to update them. The name is: EarPods. They will sound a lot better compared to the original earbuds according to Apple.
Time will tell if the iPhone 5 is going to be successful. It is certainly not going to revolutionize anything again because they already did that back in 2007. They kept the design with some changes but the core design is still the same. Why make drastic changes to something that works well? I think this was a good move.
I haven’t used a iPod since the iPhone came out because I use that as a mobile music player however, it is good to see that they keep the product line alive with new updates and features. In my opinion the new iPod Nano looks really nice.
Now we are only waiting for a smaller iPad, retina 13 Inch MacBook Pro, new iMacs, Mac Mini and the workstation Mac Pro.
What about you, are you going to buy some of the new stuff that came out today?